Sunday, July 1, 2018

Game 9 - Post Mortem - Fighting

My Game 8 is "JRPG".  If you want to join in either with the same Genre or your own, use the tag 12Games12Weeks on Twitter and/or itch.io, I would love to see what you create in this time also!

MVP 

Player character. AI Opponent (2 Player character might be easier).  Related UI/etc.  Arena.  Camera that keeps both Opponents in frame.

Results

Took ~5 hours of work to complete. I Build an arena in blender, pulled in my character from the 3D platformer. did some modifications.  Got the Camera working.. build the AI and we got a fighting game.  You can find it here: https://adroitconceptions.itch.io/12games12weeks-9-fighting


What When Right?

  • Game build up when really quick and smooth... All the experience & code from prior games made this a snap to complete.

What When Wrong?

  • A few animation/input bugs that seemed to go away when I created a input blocker once one of the characters lost.

What Lesson(s) Did I learn?

  • It doesn't take much to make an AI that looks like it knows what it is doing.
  • How to use Gimp to make better textures.
  • Math makes cameras even better!
  • I discovered UI sprites and fill % methods - really interesting thing to look at if you want to make custom (non-bars) looking UI meters.

What did I take away?

  • Good Camera framing really helps play experience.
  • If you have 2 items with almost identical scripts.. make a base class with all the shared code and derive the 2 instances off of that - I end up making the same code changes in both the AI and Player script in many locations as I worked out some of the behavior bugs.

Milestones/Workflow/Tool Usage

  • Arena Mesh
  • Player 1 character
  • Camera behavior
  • AI behavior (and lots of minor bug fixing)
  • Battle UI
  • Bout End screen
  • Battle Start Count down
  • Main Menu

What would I do if I was to work further on this (Expanded from an MVP to a full game)?

  • better art
  • more enemies
  • FXs (both visual and audio)
  • more quests/areas
  • More arenas
  • Muti-round bouts
  • Timed bouts
  • More attack choices (was limited by the animations I had available)
  • I-Frames on the rolls
  • Better "you just got hit" animation breaks.

No comments:

Post a Comment