Sunday, July 15, 2018

Game 12 - Post Mortem - RTS

My Game 12 is "RTS".  If you want to join in either with the same Genre or your own, use the tag 12Games12Weeks on Twitter and/or itch.io, I would love to see what you create in this time also!

MVP 


  • UI
  • Construction/Resource collection ability
  • 3 unit types (to enable RPS) (maybe 4 ->  +worker/collector)
  • Buildings
  • HQ
  • Turrets
  • Unit Generation? (or make this upgrades on the HQ building)
  • AI for Opponent
  • Fog of War?
  • upgrades?

Results

Took ~20 hours of work to complete.  Basically nothing from prior games was able to be use.  I started 2D, but then realized I would have to work out pathfinding/etc. so I switched to 3D.  I got unit construction and Unit AI/Damage working then moved on to "Side" AI, then end/load screens. You can find the game here: https://adroitconceptions.itch.io/12games12weeks-12-rts


What When Right?

  • Tank Prefab trick to have 1 tank that gets told what type it is, then it builds itself up correctly.

What Lesson(s) Did I learn?

  • RTS has lots of moving parts that are not 'default' in the engine.
  • Smart AI is hard, interesting AI not as bad.

What did I take away?

  • This definitely could be used as a playground for making a better AI with a few improvements (RPS units, resource collection) - right now it is mostly about focusing units to have more units at a combat.
  • I over scoped the MVP.
  • A good RTS relies on information, counters, choices.

Milestones/Workflow/Tool Usage

  • 2D version of fighting tanks
  • scrap 2D version
  • build 3D tank models
  • Build 3D terrain for map
  • Tank select/send to location code
  • tank moving code
  • Build 3D model for base
  • Spawning code
  • tank combat code (&*^% angle processing to get the aiming to work correctly)

What would I do if I was to work further on this (Expanded from an MVP to a full game)?

  • better art
  • Resource gathering
  • Build queues
  • Unit groups
  • alerts & jump to alert
  • Better AI for AI commander
  • Fully implement the RPS for the tanks
  • audio
  • multiple maps
  • multiplayer (a whole different story with the amount of moving stuff in the game, I think RTS games are deterministic and only need to sent input syncing commands back and forth..)
  • lots other.

No comments:

Post a Comment