Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Game 7 - Post Mortem - FPS

My Game 7 is "FPS".  If you want to join in either with the same Genre or your own, use the tag 12Games12Weeks on Twitter and/or itch.io, I would love to see what you create in this time also!

MVP 

The most basic MVP would be a 3D level that can be transversed.  A First Person Camera.  A Goal.  one enemy type. One weapon type. FPS UI. Extras would be weapon swap, ammo/Energy system.

Results

Took ~5 hours of work to complete. Other then the gems, audio, and screenshot, everything was done inside of Unity. You can find the game here: https://adroitconceptions.itch.io/12games12weeks-7-fps.


What When Right?

  • I have a flow going down.  Lots of reusing of prior code (Menu system, UI system).

What When Wrong?

  • Lots of lights + Integrated GPU => sadness.  My computer could run the game ok at 960x540 at medium settings fine, but stutters really bad at full HD/full quality.  This wasn't a issue with making the game, just testing.
  • The Limited color palette was much more challenging than I expected.
  • Something was causing Unity to chug even though nothing was happening and my CPU load was low.  Not sure if it was the lighting and/or Probuilder.  Probuilder is nice to quickly build stuff inside of Unity, but it also comes with some challenges.
  • I dropped having the AIs move around 

What Lesson(s) Did I learn?

  • Good workflow really helps.

What did I take away?

  • If I am going to do a game with much lighting, I need a better GPU

Milestones/Workflow/Tool Usage

  • FPS player controller
  • UI /  menus
  • Pickup
  • Enemy
  • Damage
  • VFX/SFX
  • Level blocks
  • Build level
  • Exit
  • Main Menu

What would I do if I was to work further on this (Expanded from an MVP to a full game)?

  • better art
  • more enemies
  • more weapons
  • add puzzles
  • more levels
  • level select with collectibles found status.
  • simple story?
  • better audio - I am looking at you jump sound :D

No comments:

Post a Comment