Sunday, June 24, 2018

Game 6 - Post Mortem - 3D Platformer

My Game 6 is "3D Platformer".  If you want to join in either with the same Genre or your own, use the tag 12Games12Weeks on Twitter and/or itch.io, I would love to see what you create in this time also!

MVP 

The most basic MVP would be a 3D level that can be transversed.  An orbit camera. One Enemy type. End Goal. Maybe some pickups.

Results

Took ~10 hours of work to complete. Found an animation/character controller and an enemy pack on the asset store that I used to jump start the game.  Otherwise character/enemies would have been primatives. Game can be found here: https://adroitconceptions.itch.io/12games12weeks-6-3d-platformer


What When Right?

  • Using fast prototyping tools, really helped with dev speed (pro-builder, models/animations off of the asset store.)
  • Was able to re-use some sounds/models/scripts/etc from prior projects, which helped with dev time.
  • Melee combo system (really wasn't part of the MVP, but didn't take much to make happen)

What When Wrong?

  • Enemies AI can be baited off of platforms and can't deal with objects on their platform.  I choose to skip fixing this to get done. I was quite mentally tired at the time I got to the 'fix this' in my list of task and just 'fixed' most of it with level design. (yes a few physics.xCasts would be able to solve the issue)

What Lesson(s) Did I learn?

  • Consistency is much better then drive for getting in the grove for getting things done.

What did I take away?

  • Melee combo system is both 1 - fun to play and 2 - not that hard to implement

Milestones/Workflow/Tool Usage

  • dummy level to test on
  • Moving/animatting/etc character
  • Enemy on screen, taking damage, AI, attacking
  • Player taking damage
  • Collectables
  • Menu/UI stuff
  • Build level

What would I do if I was to work further on this (Expanded from an MVP to a full game)?

  • better art
  • more enemies
  • more attacks
  • more puzzles
  • more levels
  • level select with collectibles found status.
  • simple story?
  • better audio - I am looking at you jump sound :D

No comments:

Post a Comment